Writing – Finding the Mayors Stolen Hat

Finding the Mayor’s Stolen hat with a Police officer who rides a giant sloth to Work

Author: Selina!

Police officer Gerald wakes up to another day of work, it’s Friday the 23rd of September. He puts on his hat, and gets his to-do list.

TO DO LIST FOR THIS WEEK:
☑ Find a kid’s missing pet giraffe.
Find the Mayor’s stolen super tall top hat.
☑ Find the geese that escaped the local zoo.
☑ Arrest the Big bad wolf who ate the three pigs.

The last thing to do is to find the stolen top hat. Gerald gets his uniform on and blows his whistle so his giant sloth wakes up and rides him to work. The sloth is very slow, so Barry the sloth gets honked at by a lot of cars. Gerald decided to give him roller-skates so Barry could go faster. “It couldn’t be that hard to find, I mean have you seen how tall his top hat is Barry?” Barry makes a sound “mm”, Gerald assumes he means yes.

While riding to work, they hear a very loud THUNK! CRUMBLE! CRACK! They see a very long black cylinder hat looking thing, “That must be the top hat!” Gerald shouted. The sloth skated to the black cylinder, they went into the house and found out…

It’s not the Mayor’s top hat, it’s a rusty, mouldy tube that fell from the stranger’s roof.

Gerald had to call some people to fix the roof for them. Gerald looked at his watch, he wasn’t at work and it was 9:03 am, he was 1 hour and 3 minutes late to work. Gerald decided to run to work since his sloth was still pretty slow even with the roller skates. He had to make his sloth Barry stay at home.

“Phew! I’ve made it.” Gerald was relieved. He then realised he had to get Barry to take him home. But he had to go to the meeting, he has something very important to know as there are many notices he has to keep up on.

“I’m here!” Gerald shouted, “sorry I’m late.” Gerald took a seat and sat quietly. Another police officer continued talking, “Ahem, as we all know. The mayor has not been seen since his hat went missing-” “Maybe he was just so short that we cant see him without his long hat!” Gerald laughed. No one else did except him. He saw an annoyed face on his co-worker, it seems they’re offended since he interrupted them. “Sorry.” Gerald said and he lowered his head down out of embarrassment.

Finally the meeting finished, and Gerald went home. He decided to walk home since Barry wasn’t there. He still had to look for the mayor’s hat, so he decided to have a look while walking home. He walked into the nearest flower shop, “have you seen the mayor’s hat?” Gerald asked the shop owner. “No, I haven’t, I assume that a costume or grocery store has. I’m not sure which one but it’s known for the mayor buying from it a lot.” “Hmm, okay.” Gerald wrote down a note.

▪ Check every single store.

Gerald then looked at every single shop and asked the owners.

“Have you seen the mayor or the mayor’s hat?”
“No.”

“Have you seen the mayor’s hat or the mayor?”
“No. But would you like to buy something?”
“No thanks” Gerald responded.

After asking multiple and most responded no, he asked the last two stores. “Have you seen the mayor or the mayor’s hat?” He asked desperately to the owner. “No. Maybe you could ask the other store.”
Gerald sighed. After this store, he has to continue walking home to feed Barry.

“Have you seen the mayor’s hat or mayors- I mean mayor?” Gerald was so tired, he was stumbling on his own words. “I have!” The shop-owner said. He owned a costume and mask shop. “I am the mayor, what made you look for me?” Gerald said that they were looking for the stolen hat, the mayor replied “I decided to take it off for a while, it was never stolen!” Gerald asked the mayor to come with him to the police station to explain it wasn’t stolen and he wasn’t missing. He just decided to take a little break from being mayor to run his own shop.

The case is solved! Gerald got a promotion, Barry was fed and the mayor was found!

TO DO LIST FOR THIS WEEK:
☑ Find a kid’s missing pet giraffe.
☑ Find the Mayor’s stolen super tall top hat.

THE END.

Task Description: For writing, we had to make a narrative story. I had to use a story starters website because I couldn’t really come up with something and it said, write a to-do list for a balding police officer who rides a giant sloth to work. Then, this is what I came up with. I hope you enjoy reading my writing!

4 thoughts on “Writing – Finding the Mayors Stolen Hat

1. Hi Selina, I loved reading your story – it’s fantastic, very funny and your use of descriptive language is wonderful. I like the way you included a task description as well – ka pai!