Nightshift – Great Beginnings Writing

Nightshift

Inside the office building was pitch black. Without the flashlight I probably wouldn’t be able to see a thing! 10:00 pm, my shift ends at midnight.. The slightest bit of noise echoes through the building, the sound of my footsteps walking around is the only sound I could hear in the entire building. This was my first ever time doing an actual night shift, yesterday they just gave me a tutorial. As I was checking the fourth room, “Oh man.” I sighed. My flashlight became dim, I think the batteries were almost dead.

I could barely see anything with the amount of light my flashlight had. I quickly go into a random room and rummage for batteries in the desk’s draws before my flashlight could fully turn off. “No batteries’ ‘ I walked out of the room. I had to get new batteries but I just started working here as a security guard yesterday, I had no idea where batteries would be. I went upstairs to a floor that I’ve never been on before. They didn’t show this floor to me during the tutorial. I walked down the hallway only looking at the ground with my flashlight. My flashlight blinked three times right before fully turning off. “Damn.” I said under my breath.

Now, I’m lost in the dark with no flashlight. “Oh wow, what a perfect horror movie scenario” I thought to myself. But I mean, those are fake, nothing like in the movies is gonna happen in real life. So as long as I find something I can get light from, I’m good for the rest of the shift.

I was still walking down the hallway… I think?? I can’t see anything at all so I’m just walking in a straight line until I hit a wall. All of sudden this weird feeling of fear overcomes me. I take a step, and then stop. Right as I stopped walking I heard tapping on the wall that sounded like it was coming from right behind me. “Tap, tap, tap.” The sound echoes in the hallway. “What the hell is behind me?!” Andrew screamed in his head, his eyes widening.

Andrew frantically starts speed walking, the fear taking over his body. The tapping came closer every step he took. He tries to convince himself that the tapping isn’t real. The office building entrance is locked, he locked it. There is absolutely no chance that someone is right behind him. The tip of his foot hits a wall, he turns to his right and steps down. It’s a staircase, he runs down despite not being able to see the next step. The tapping becomes louder since its tapping on the hand rail. Unable to convince himself it’s not real, Andrew fully accepts that a person is chasing him. He runs as fast as he can down the stairs. The stairs seem like it’ll take forever to fully go to the entrance floor. 

Then.. He finally reached the entrance floor. Two more steps he says, relieved. He rushes down the last two steps but trips on his untied shoelace and faceplants into the cold floor that could’ve broken his nose if it wasn’t a…

GASP! Andrew clenches onto his bedsheets and starts panting as if he ran a marathon. From shoulder to wrist his arms are covered in goosebumps. “Wow, what a dream.” he muttered, drowsy and cold, he almost snuggled back into his blanket until.. “BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!” the alarm screeches at him, “ time to get ready for work.” He groans.

Task Description: This is some pretty old writing, this was from Term 2 I believe? It was great beginnings writing, it means that we had to write a good introduction to hook our readers in. It also had to be very descriptive, then we could write the rest of the story. This is my great beginnings writing! I hope you enjoy it.